Lined Up

Lined Up
All pretty and clean

Tuesday 26 April 2011

16th April 2011 - Laerskool Visserhoek Funduro (De Wildt Region)



Bike used - Honda CRF230 :-
(My KTM was still not repaired by this event so I had to use hubbies 230)

This was the most fun I have ever had on a bike. 


Laerskool Visserhoek hosted their first funduro on Saturday the 16th April to raise funds for this small rural primary school. 


 Registration took place (or was supposed to) take place just after 6am at Vissershoek, which meant we had to get up around 3 in the morning to be there on time.  This we managed, only to find that due to the heavy non-stop rain the registration was running late and only eventually commenced just before 7am.  The ride time was also postponed in the hope that some of the rain would subside.  The rain however kept pouring.   We eventually set off just after 9.  


The route they chose was well marked and well planned out.  The total loop was about 34 kms and I must add it was the most gruelling 34 kms I have ever done.   The first half of the route was in a riverbed that was muddy wet and had some severe rocky sections in between.  We were allowed to do as many loops as we could possibly fit in up to the cutoff point of 2 pm that afternoon.   I got caught in the riverbed on one of the muddy sections for over half an hour.  My bike was bogged down in the mudd so bad that it took 4 adult men to get it out.  Further down the loop closer to the end there was the "koppie section", which ended up being quite a rocky steep climb up with an awesome steep windy decent.  I honestly thought close to the end on my first loop that I would only manage one loop and would not even attempt a second one.  However, I must suffer from short term memory or some other malfunctioning brain condition, because I stopped at the pits demanded a refuel and sped off at the rate of knotts to catch up my fellow rival on his 125 yammie smoker.  


The second and last lap went well, managing to avoid any major bogg downs or hickups - however it was a slow second lap due to the severe prevailing rain and muddy conditions.   The Funduro was well planned and laid out for a first attempt.  The Marshall's marked the route well and was always at hand for assistance.   They did a good sweep of the loop afterwards to ensure that all the riders were back in the pits.   Once all of this was done they hosted a small prize giving, which was based on a lucky draw system.  I am proud to say I now own my first ever tool kit thanks to Laerskool Vissershoek.   Job well done guys and girls.   Definitely a must do on your calendar for next year and don't let the rain put you off it just adds to the fun.

Many Thanks to Gary from Dirt Bike Fanatics for the pit support.

No comments:

Post a Comment